We all know the importance of sunscreen. Not only do the best sunscreens help to prevent skin cancer which can be deadly, but it also protects our skin against premature aging, dehydration, and pigmentation. All of which are incredibly difficult to reverse.
Sunscreen should be an essential component of everyone’s daily skin care regime. When you are living or visiting a tropical climate, sunscreen can feel thick, heavy, like it is melting off your face at any given time.
Not to worry – below is a list of the best sunscreens to use in a hot, humid, tropical environments to ensure that your skin stays protected while you stay comfortable.1. Mad Hippie Facial SPF ($25): for those who prefer using natural products on their skin, this SPF 30+ is just for you! It protects against the aging UV rays (UVA) as well as the ones that cause you to burn (UVB).
2. LaRoche Posay Anthelios Clear Skin ($20): the best thing about this oil free sunscreen is that it contains silica which soaks up more than 200 times its weight in sweat and oil, giving this product a wonderfully lightweight feel.
3. Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream ($25): let’s be honest, we could all do with a little anti-ageing. This broad spectrum sunscreen prevents fine lines as well as dehydration so that you can look great while still protecting your skin.
4. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration ($10): lightweight and hydrating, this broad spectrum sunscreen is packed full of shea butter to nourish as well as mango fruit extract. The cherry on the top is the fact that it smells like a tropical vacation.
5. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection ($39): if you’re in a tropical environment, you will most likely be swimming, a lot. This SPF 50+ from Shiseido is water resistant and can be used for the whole family, even those with sensitive skins. Even though it is water resistant, make sure to reapply every two to three hours.
6. Coppertone Clearly Sheer Spray ($7): water resistant, oil free and broad spectrum, this SPF 30 ticks all of the boxes. The spray action helps you get an even application, and the product dries matte on your skin which is great if you are on the beach as it means that beach sand shouldn’t stick to you as much.
7. Neutrogena CoolDry Sports Sunscreen Lotion ($10): with an SPF of 50, this is an incredibly protective sunscreen. It also has a nifty little trick of making sweat evaporate faster, so if you are particularly active, you may find that this is the best sunscreen for you.
8. Jergens Natural Glow & Protect ($7): protect your skin while getting your glow on at the same time. This Jergens gradual self-tanner has a built in SPF 20 to give you moderate sun protection. Gradual tans are so much easier to use than self-tans as they very seldom streak and look orange.
9. L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Bright Reveal Daily Moisturiser ($18): this SPF 30 has all of the good stuff in it; glycolic acid, vitamin C, and retinol. It helps to lighten age spots that have already appeared and also helps to prevent future ones from cropping up.
10. Tarte TarteGuard ($32): if this purple bottle doesn’t grab your attention, I don’t know what will. This is an excellent, chemical-free SPF 30 that also contains vitamin C that brightens up your complexion.
11. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Sunscreen Stick ($7): this is such a nifty little-sized sunscreen stick that still contains all of the sun protection that your skin needs. It’s perfectly sized for travel, to throw into your handbag or keep in your car.
12. Nios Shield Leave-In Conditioner ($28): so many people forget about their scalp and hair when applying their sunscreen. The sun is incredibly damaging to the hair, causing it to dry out and often has an effect on your color treatment. The Nios Sheild Leave In Conditioner not only protects your hair and scalp against the sun’s harmful rays, but it also tames your frizz and prevents your color from fading.
13. AVENE High Protection Tinted Compact ($23): no one likes to wear makeup when it’s hot and humid outside, but we all want to look our best. That’s where this great compact from AVENE comes in. It has an SPF of 50, is lightweight, and its subtle tint will make you look beautifully bronzed and sun-kissed.
14. Kiehl’s Activated Sun Protector ($29): this is a face and body SPF that is water based, meaning that it won’t feel oily on your skin. It is also paraben free and perfect to use on sensitive skin.
15. Hang Ten Classic Sport ($13): the best thing about this SPF 30 is that you can spray it from absolutely any direction. So if you are out and about by yourself, you shouldn’t have any problems at all.